The Leitner Center for International Law and Justice at Fordham Law School is pleased to announce the 2014 Summer Human Rights Institute (SHRI), a two-week certificate program that will provide a comprehensive introduction to the theory and application of international human rights (IHR) law, July 28 to August 8, 2014.
Designed for students and professionals from around the world, this immersive program enables individuals with limited time to gain an in-depth understanding of international human rights law and practice. Participants will take part in daily lectures and workshops with Fordham Law professors, supplemented by fieldwork and discussions with members of New York’s prominent human rights community. The program may also include field trips to the United Nations Headquarters and Washington DC.
- All courses and activities will be conducted in English – no language assessment is required.
- Participants will earn Certificate in International Human Rights Law from the Leitner Center for International Law and Justice at Fordham Law School, New York, NY.
- The program fees are $2,100 for early registrants; $2,600 for regular registrants, and cover tuition for approximately 60 hours of instruction, course materials, lunch on most weekdays and extracurricular activities.
- There is no visa requirement for the SHRI program, but the Leitner Center will work with participants to obtain visas and other documentation as needed (please scroll down to ‘Obtaining A Visa’ for more information).
- The Summer Human Rights Institute (SHRI) is offered immediately after Fordham Law School’s Summer Institute in NYC, a three-week intensive program that introduces law graduates and students to the U.S. legal system and an array of topics in U.S. law, July 7–25, 2014.
- Lodging is not included in the program fee. The Institute has negotiated a block of single and double rooms at a nearby hotel, but there is no obligation to book at this hotel and participants are free to make their own arrangements (please scroll down to ‘Accommodations’ for more information).
SUMMER 2014 FACULTY & CURRICULUM
Please click here for the Summer 2014 Curriculum Guide.
The Summer Human Rights Institute (SHRI) is open to students and professionals from around the world with an interest in international human rights law. There are no specific academic requirements to participate in this program.
The Institute offers an early registration cycle, in which those who register by May 15 receive a reduced fee of $2100. After May 15, the regular fee of $2600 will apply. Space is limited and interested applicants are encouraged to register early, as we expect the program to fill up before the June 15 deadline.
To qualify for the reduced early registration fee, registration materials and payment must be sent by May 15, after which the regular $2600 program fee will apply. The deadline for registration and payment of the regular fee is June 15.
Registrants are accepted into the program on a rolling basis, in the order in which registrations materials and program fees are received. Registrants will receive formal confirmation of registration within 3 to 5 business days of receipt of their registration materials and program fee.
Please submit a completed, signed registration form via email to LeitnerCenter@law.fordham.edu, along with the following three items:
- Current resume;
- Copy of passport (photo page only);
- Recent Photo
Upon submission of these four items, you will receive an email confirmation with instructions for submitting the program fee via check, money order or wire transfer. To qualify for the reduced early registration fee, payment must be posted by April 1, after which the regular $2600 program fee will apply.
Obtaining a Visa
There is no visa requirement for the Summer Institute program, but the Leitner Center will work with participants to obtain visas and other documentation as needed. Please check back in mid-March, when complete visa information will be posted here.
There are a number of hotels and residences close to our Lincoln Center campus, which is located at 140 West 62nd Street, New York, NY 10023. The Institute has negotiated a block of single and double rooms at the nearby Hotel Belleclaire – details for booking a room in this block will be included in the registrant materials – but there is no obligation to book at this hotel. Participants are free to make their own arrangements at any of the many places to stay near campus, and invited to check back in mid-March, when additional housing information will be posted here.
Early registration cycle fee (due May 15): $2100**
Regular registration cycle fee (due June 15): $2600
The program fee covers tuition for approximately 60 hours of instruction, course materials, lunch on most weekdays and extracurricular activities. Please note that the program fee does not cover housing, which participants arrange independently (please scroll down to ‘Accommodations’ for more information).
The program fee may be paid by check, money order or wire transfer. Detailed instructions for submitting the registration fee will be emailed to registrants upon receipt of their complete registration packet. The final deadline to register and submit the program fee is May 15.
*All payments should be made in USD.
** In order to qualify for the early registration cycle fee, payment must be posted by May 15, after which the regular $2600 program fee will apply.
For more information
Please direct any questions to LeitnerCenter@law.fordham.edu.